The National AIDS Housing Coalition (NAHC) is a national non-profit housing policy and advocacy membership organization established in 1994 to advance the creation, development, management and growth of housing for persons living with HIV/AIDS. NAHC‘s mission is to end the HIV/AIDS epidemic by ensuring that people living with HIV/AIDS have quality, affordable and appropriate housing. Since 2005, NAHC has convened the Housing and HIV/AIDS Research Summit series, the premier venue for the presentation and discussion of research documenting the connection of stable housing to better HIV health outcomes and translation of research into tools to support policy imperatives.
The Executive Director is responsible for overseeing the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position reports directly to the Board of Directors.
1) Board Governance: Works with board in order to fulfill the organization mission, “to end the HIV/AIDS epidemic by ensuring that persons living with HIV/AIDS have quality, affordable and appropriate housing.”
- Responsible for leading NAHC in a manner that supports and guides the organization’s mission as defined by the Board of Directors.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and to make informed decisions.
2) Financial Performance and Viability: Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of the organization.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity of NAHC, including submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements, which accurately reflect the financial condition of the organization.
- Responsible for fiscal management, including generally anticipating monthly cash flow and operating within the approved budget, ensuring maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of the organization in a positive financial position.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support NAHC’s mission.
3) Organization Mission and Strategy: Works with board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled through programs, strategic planning and community outreach.
- Responsible for implementation of NAHC’s programs to carry out the organization’s mission.
- Responsible for strategic planning to ensure that NAHC can successfully fulfill its Mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of NAHC’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working closely with other HIV/AIDS service, housing and related public and private organizations.
4) Organization Operations. Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of the organization are appropriate.
- Responsible effective administration of NAHC operations.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing all notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of the organization.
- Five or more years senior management experience.
- Solid, hands-on, budget management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision-making, and reporting.
- Strong organizational abilities including planning, delegating, program development, and task facilitation.
- Ability to convey a vision of NAHC’s strategic future to staff, board, volunteers, and donors.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to nonprofit sector.
- Track record in raising funds for policy work and general operations.
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate board members and other volunteers.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Strong public speaking ability.
- Experience in developing and advancing an organizational policy agenda.
1. Develop relationships with and educating the Congress and relevant federal agencies about policy and resource needs for housing and housing-related supportive services for people with HIV/AIDS.
2. Serve as NAHC’s primary spokesperson to the organization’s constituents, the media, and the general public.
3. Establish and maintain relationships with various national and partner organizations and utilize those relationships to strategically enhance NAHC’s Mission.
4. Plan and operate annual budget.
5. Establish employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for NAHC’s day-to-day operation.
6. Report to and work closely with the Board of Directors to seek their involvement in policy decisions, fundraising and to increase NAHC’s overall visibility.
7. Supervise and collaborate with NAHC staff.
8. Strategic planning and implementation.
9. Management, oversight, and execution of all grants and related organizational activities.
10. Oversee organization Board and committee meetings.
11. Oversee marketing and other communications efforts.
12. Review and approve contracts for services.
13. Other duties as assigned by the Board of Directors.
Salary commensurate with experience and other qualifications. Quality benefits package includes health and PTO. 3-year commitment required. Travel required (Approx. 6-8 trips annually).
Email cover letter, resume (both in pdf format) and contact information for three (3) references to: email@example.com by 5pm eastern Friday, July 25, 2014. No phone calls please.